Last Updated on March 29, 2021 by rampartsecurityEach year, unsuspecting homeowners are targeted by scammers posing as a security representative. Have you noticed someone who looks like a security system rep knocking at your door. If you weren’t expecting a sales or service call, you try to determine if this is real or bogus. You aren’t alone with this puzzle. Warm weather season is also prime time for some less-than-honest alarm salespeople looking for a quick sell. All over the country, door knockers scam security system customers and homeowners, into signing a new contract or gain access into a home. How can you protect yourself and your loved ones? Follow these tips to help determine if the sales or service rep is actually with the business.
5 Ways to Identify a Security Scam Knocking at Your Door
- If you weren’t expecting a visit from your current company, call the office to confirm.
- Be leery if the salesperson tries to tell you that your current company is now out of business and has been taken over by another company.
- Some visitors will also try to tell you that they are a “sister” company of your current company. If you haven’t heard from your current company, give them a call to confirm.
- Look for ID and a uniform with logo.
- Ask for the name and phone number for whom the salesperson works. Remember, reputable security companies won’t mind a phone call to verify the visit.