- Look for gift cards with substantial packaging
- Inspect the packaging for any slight tears, peels, or cracks.
- Be wary of any scratch off area that is too large or crooked.
- Pass along the receipt to the card recipient for negotiating power if they need to show it was properly loaded at one time.
- Consider only buying gift cards online.
Each year it happens more and more. An unsuspecting shopper picks up a few gift cards only for the recipient to later find that the card had fallen prey to a scammer’s deception before the card was even purchased. How you can protect yourself from this?